Thursday, February 24, 2011

Stormy Sky

      It's currently bad weather out.  That's Texas for you. Two days ago it's bright and shinny out, now it's a thunder storm warning. Sooo....in these times I like to put on comfy pants and sip on some hot tea. I have a busy week ahead of me next week, so I am also about to crack my books open.  But before I do that I thought I would share about my last couple of days.
"Crown and Robe"
     Today my vase forms were due. I think they turned out well. The smaller white one only has a slip covering. Nothing formal with color has been done yet. The "greenware" stage was due today. My white form will stay white, but it has yet to be glazed. A slip covering is just an underlying color which can be the only color that is used or can be covered up with a stain and glaze. In my case I will cover the slip with a glaze (A thicker milky white). Slip can also be used as a strengthening binder. I think of my white vase form as a king's crown and his robe, or in my case...a artistic description of my King and the promises that he gives me as my Savior. I also found a verse to go along with it.
           Isaiah 61:10 "I will greatly rejoice in the Lord; my soul shall exult in my God, for he has clothed me with the garments of salvation; he has covered me with the robe of righteousness as a bridegroom decks himself like a priest with a beautiful headdress, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels."  This also goes perfectly with the thoughts of marriage.
            You can see in the vase form the crown and the robe. Pretty cool! I feel like I am starting to get a hang of this ceramics thing. I love thinking deeper about my pieces and others pieces around me. You can really get into someone's mind just by looking at what their hands created. Love it!
"Little Fatty"- on the left
          My other form is a very curvy piece. I like to call it my "little fatty". Cause seriously...it's a fatty. When my professor saw it she said..."That's sexy!" I don't think I have ever had a professor say that to me about anything. It was funny. This was my first vase form that I have ever made. Quite proud. My little fatty will also have horizontal lines that will run through the largest part of the body. I am thinking a more natural color scheme for the fatty as well. Both of these vase forms were made by a coiling technique. I had to put coil after coil on top of each other to get the exact form I wanted. Obviously I went back through and smoothed down the coils so that they are no longer visible. I had such a wonderful time creating these two pieces. I cannot believe we are starting on the wheel next week! yay! I am so sad I started this wonderful craft my last semester of undergrad. I think I may have to continue.
          I am still waiting the preview of our engagement pictures. I am just soo excited to see them. They should be up later tonight or tomorrow. I will surely post some of them on here.
          Well, I think that is all for this current time. I will keep updated pictures of the vases on here too!

2 comments:

  1. Normally I kinda raise my eyebrows when people describe the artistics inspirations for things they've made, how this concrete thing represents some abstract idea...not that I think they're wrong just that I'm an engineer and my brain just doesn't get those types of things a lot of the time. But with your vase I totally get it and see it. Thanks for sharing, it made me smile this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Totally agree!
    It actually just turned out looking like a Crown and Robe to me...Didn't exactly mean it to. When I think of a King I think of my King...so that's how it got associated. :) I didn't tell my teacher or fellow classmates or anything. Just kinda be between the piece and I...and my blog. haha.

    ReplyDelete